"Almost all children respond to music. Music is an open-sesame, and if you can use it carefully and appropriately, you can reach into that child's potential for development." Dr. Clive Robbins

Monday, July 12, 2010

Special Needs Course

I just finished taking a class from Child Care Resource and Referral called Special Needs.  The majority of the class members were Day Care Providers in the valley but it was offered to preschool teachers as well.  I really enjoyed the class and will include in my preschool a section where we talk about and read stories about those with special needs.  I truly believe children who are exposed to the idea that there are children that are just like them that might not talk like them or walk like them are just like them in most other ways will be more accepting.   All children need love and attention and a chance to learn and play and be included.  It was amazing to me to see the history of how children were treated only about 40 years ago to now. In general we have made some huge progress in thought and action.
They other thing I learned from the class is every child has basic needs and as a teacher I need to be aware of how each learn and be ready to adapt my lessons and plans to meet each child to where they are without excluding or pointing it out.  It is a challenge and I am ready to embrace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!